Instructions for Foreign Pilots
The FAA makes provision for foreign pilots to obtain a US Private Pilot License issued on the basis of their foreign pilot license and medical. The form you would submit is a Verification of Authenticity of a Foreign Pilot License and Medical application. Once the FAA receives this completed form and legible copies of your pilot license, ratings and medical, they will then contact the issuing agency to verify the authenticity of your license, ratings and medical, and then the FAA will send you a Letter of Authenticity. You would then simply present your Letter of Authenticity, pilot license and medical, and your passport to our pilot examiner, and you will then be issued a Temporary Airman Certificate (a US Private Pilot License). You permanent certificate will arrive in the mail in about 5 or 6 weeks later, but you don’t have to wait for the permanent certificate to start flying. That Temporary Airman Certificate is just as valid as the permanent license.
Here are the steps to follow to obtain your FAA Private Pilot License issued on the basis of your foreign-based pilot license and medical:
1. Go to this website and download the PDF form http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/
2. Fill out the form, scan it and fax it to the FAA at 405-954-9922 along with legible copies of your foreign license, an English transcript of your license (if necessary) and a scan of your foreign pilot medical certificate or endorsement (make sure all documents are current according to your Civil Aviation Authority rules). Alternatively, you can mail legible copies of the application and your pilot documents to: Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760, PO BOX 25082, Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0082.
3. Please put the North Florida Flight Standards District Office, FSDO-15 as the location where you intend to make application for your FAA Airman Certificate and in block 4a you should put our address as the address where you want your Letter of Authenticity to be sent. This will save valuable time.
c/o Sunstate Aviation
3008 Patrick Street
Kissimmee, FL 34741
4. It can take up to 90 days for processing the above form however this is usually not the case. You should follow up with the Airmen Certification Branch via a phone call to (405) 954-3261 a day or two after you have submitted your documentation to make sure they received everything and that all the documents are legible. If you do not follow up, no one will contact you if there is a problem.
5. In Block-10 – you are applying for a Private Pilot certificate with an Airplane Single Engine Land and/or Multi-engine Land rating (as appropriate based on the class ratings you currently hold on your foreign pilot certificate).
****IMPORTANT NOTE TO UK PILOTS: The Data Protection Act now requires your permission for the CAA to release any information to the FAA. Please check with the appropriate authorities (CAA) before submitting your 61-75 form to the FAA.
Also, as part of the preparation process for your flying here, we would also ask you to complete a Flight Review Questionnaire (download here: http://www.sunstateaviation.com/questionnaire.pdf ). You will notice in the first section of the questionnaire, it refers to some free web-based safety courses from AOPA.org. These courses are about 1 hour in length each and there are 5 courses required however, you can do as many of these as you would like. They are very good and most of them count as Wings Credit in the FAA Wings Program.